Tuesday, November 4, 2008

mi cumpleaños en piura

This past Saturday was my 23rd birthday. I was a little ambivalent about spending my first birthday away from friends and family. And what was more; I would be spending it in a very isolated site in the farms of Piura.
On the 31st, my FBT group , Lizzy, and my trainer Jorge planned a surprise for my birthday. Jorge told us that we had to immediately leave Lizzy’s site because we had to have an emergency meeting with the Peace Corps Peru Director and our Associate Program Director back in Piura City. I got really nervous and confused (and more confused about why no one else was nervous about this emergency meeting). I wondered what could have happened that we had to immediately leave the Lizzy’s isolated site to go to the city. After 6 hours of exhausting and stressful travel back to the city, we went to a fancy restaurant to “meet the director.” When we sat down at our table and everyone raised their glasses and made a toast. They explained to me that there was no meeting with the director; we were simply in the city to celebrate and go out for my birthday! It was a wonderful surprise. After a very nice dinner (I finally got to have a real salad and not worry about getting sick), we went out to a discoteca and danced till 5 in the morning.

No comments: