Sunday, February 8, 2009

chucaque

Like many North Americans traveling or living in South America, I’ve had some stomach issues while I’ve been down here. However, unlike most North Americans who pop some Immodium or Cipro, I have gotten to experience Andean “medicine.”

The other day my family was eating guinea pig for dinner and I was happy to have the excuse that my stomach was bothering me, so I would have to pass on the delicious meal. My family seemed worried. They asked me if my head also hurt. In fact, it did (I happen to know the common Western medical knowledge that headaches are often accompanied with diarrhea due to dehydration, but I didn’t say anything.). Then, they got very worried. They told me that I most likely had chucaque. Chu ca what? My host mother, Palmira, explained to me that Chucaque was bad spirits caused by shame. They asked me what could have caused these bad spirits to enter my body (bacteria, caused by street food, I thought, but didn’t say anything). I told them I didn’t know. They wondered what had shamed me that day. They were all very worried about these bad spirits which had entered my body. They told me that the bad spirits kill people and we would have to get these spirits out immediately. I restrained myself from rolling my eyes at them.

This is when it got even more interesting. I had heard about Peruvian witchcraft, but didn’t realize that my own family practiced it. Apparently it is more common than I had thought. Palmira stood up and told me she would take the chucaque out of me herself. She told me this is what her mom did for her and this is what she does for all of her children when they are sick. She explained as a matter-of-factly that it was important to get the chucaque out of my body right then and there. Then, she took a huge chunk of my hair and starting pulling… pulling HARD. I screamed “¿Que está haciendo?” What was she doing? She told me not to worry, it would hurt for a minute, but it was necessary. So I let her continue. She pulled chunks of my hair until we heard a crack, which apparently was a spirit leaving my head (honestly, I’m not sure what the crack was?).

I was relieved when this over, but then was told that that was only the first step to what my family called medicine for spirits caused by shame (and in hindsight what I’d like to call an exorcism of diarrhea). Next, my four foot tall host mother tried to pick up five foot seven me and crack my back in order to scare out more spirits inside of me. It was awkward, but I thought, finally this is over. No, no, the best was yet to come. I sat back down, confused, not knowing whether to cry or laugh at what was going on. All of a sudden, I feel a huge spray of water all over my face. My mom had just spit cold water all over me. I think I may have yelled out some English profanities. It may have been one of the weirdest things I had experienced. She actually spit on me.

Then she sat back down, and our family meal continued as normal. My family told me that I should sleep well that night and would feel better in the morning, as all of the spirits will have left. The weirdest thing about it all, I did feel better the next day.

7 comments:

Laura Kraft - Architect said...

Hi Becca-
I've been following your saga with great interest ever since you embarked on your Peace Corps adventure. I'm amazed at the things you have been through and even more at the spirit in which you have experienced them.
The various "offal" stories have grossed me out. I'm in awe of your ability to take the lessons from these experiences with poise and understanding. Never more so than with your latest tale of the exorcism. I hope that, along with some good old fashioned western medicine, this has made you feel better and that your good health persist.
All is well here in the far north--David and I have beat the trends of other architects and cabinet makers we know, and have remained busy. Knock on wood.
Take care, my dear. We miss you and think of you often.
Love, Aunt Laura

Felcy said...

I enjoyed reading your blog ~ thanks for posting such useful content./Nice article and great photos. Very nicely done!

Cabinet Makers

Unknown said...

Hahaha... Chucaque!! I'm peruvian and my mom used to do this to me and my sisters too (without the spirit mumbo jumbo and the spitting part tho).
When our head used to hurt a lot she would pull our hair until the loud crack and then we would feel much better. Never tried to find a medical reason for it. Also there are the classic egg rub around the body while praying or the newspaper rub that had to be burned right afterwards. All these were done on me so many times that reading about it now makes me laugh... they worked everytime and I wont try to find an explanation... kinda like if it ain't broke then don't fix it... placebo or not, it always worked and I'm glad by that. :)

Merly del Castillo said...

Your article is funny. But I felt like it was a bit offensive to the Peruvian culture. I think that if you choose to go to Peru, you need to accept and embrace their living style rather than criticize it and compare it to the American culture, which is obviously very different and I'm sure it's one of the reasons why you decided to go there in the first place. Best,
Merly

rocoto relleno said...

I read your articule which i found very funny a.d nothing offensive at all. It remInded me when i was in high school (i studied in LimA) and if some of our friends had a bad headache, inmediately there was always one who volunteer to help with "the chucaque" method and it always worked out!. I never heard about the story about "the spirits" though. What i know is that even doctors in Peru use this technique.

Lucapuka said...

Just listened to my b.f. talking (from here in Buenos Aires) to his mother in Peru. She ate too much yuca and has a stomach ache, but her sister-in-law is on her way over to give her the chucaque treatment! Here in Argentina if you have back pain they roll sticks of yellow chalk along your back, pressing hard, and each time that one breaks they say that it's the sound of "sacando el frio" -- taking out the cold -- from your back. They even sell these things in drug stores!

Unknown said...

I was born and raised in Peru though I have lived half my life in the U.S. now, I am a physician and nonetheless I have never been able to explain how or why but the whole Chucaque thing worked... so funny to learn it wasn't just my grandma and mom! And yes, it had to do with being "ashamed" or "embarrassed" about something... good memories! ThanKS for sharing!!