Tuesday, May 4, 2010

charlas sobre salud bucal

Being a community health volunteer, one health issue that I had not yet attacked was dental health. The closest dentist in my community works about 2 hours away. Almost none of the children in Pampa Elera have ever been to the dentist. Some have toothbrushes, if their parents have decided it is a worthwhile investment. Last week I visited all of the students in the primary school and taught them about dental health. We talked about cavities, good and bad foods for teeth, brushing teeth, dental floss, etc. Last year I wrote a letter to my dentist back home to see if he could donate toothbrushes to the cause. He donated toothbrushes, toothpaste, and dental floss. Thanks to Dr. Starnes’ donations, more donations from my parents, the transport of everything from Charlottesville to Peru by Dave, all of the children in my community now have materials to maintain goood dental health. Thank you!

No comments: