Wednesday, September 17, 2008

mi nueva familia y comunidad

I think living with a family seems like the best part of the three months of training. It will be the a great way to acculturate and figure out the norms and behaviors of every day life in Peru. I met my new family on Sunday. Diosabel, Carlito, and Anita Humpire picked me up from the training center and we schlepped all of my luggage to the nearby town of Huascaran.

The Humpire family consists of:
Carlos, my padre, is a police officer in Lima. Carlos works a lot during the night and often is not at the house. I actually have only met him once. I still haven’t quite figured out his schedule, so I’m not sure how much I’ll actually be seeing of him.

Diosabel, my madre, recently got her university degree in nutrition. As a newly converted carnivore (well, actually just poultry-vore for now), I feel like I am in good hands with my nutritionist mom. For the past few days that I’ve lived under her roof, I have felt very welcome and at home. While there is a lot to get used to, I feel like I’ve really lucked out with my new madre. For example, when I’ve expressed my concern and anxiety about getting lost and navigating the scary combis (buses), Diosabel sat me down and drew a detailed map of our town and reassured me I´ll be ok getting around. While Diosabel certainly won’t replace Marcia, she seems like she’ll do a good job fulfilling the matronly position in my new Peruvian life.

Carlos, or Carlito, is my 14 year old brother. Carlos attends military school in Lima, where he stays during the week. So, like his father Carlos, I won’t be seeing him a lot. But from the time we spent together on Sunday, he seems very nice. He likes the Simpsons a lot, so I know I’ll be able to bond with him about Bart and Lisa.

Ana, or Anita, is my 10 year old sister. I was soo excited when I saw her pick me up with her brother and mother. Kids are definitely the best and easiest way for me to feel comfortable and build a connection. As soon as I got to my new home, Anita and I were best friends. She asked me when my birthday was and has already started planning a fiesta in November. She wants to make me a chocolate cake and play lots of games. Anita and I have been playing cards a lot. She rocked me in Gin; but the tables were turned when I taught her Ochos Locos (crazy eights), and I beat her.

My abuela (grandmother) and tío (uncle) live next door to us. The grandmother is very sweet, and also very funny. She has made me feel right at home. Like any other grandmother, Abuelita makes sure Ana and I are eating enough and that we are safe out on the street, and that we do our homework. She’s great. And finally, Jesús, Diosabel’s brother, is 21 years old. He loves Eminem and 50 Cent and wants to know everything about America. We made a deal that if I became his English professor, he would help me with my Spanish and also show me the ropes around Chaclacayo. I’m looking forward to having a local friend my age.

No comments: