Friday, June 19, 2009

mi casita

When I arrived in Pampa Elera, I had to develop my site on my own. I didn’t have anywhere to live nor did I know anyone with whom I could work. Rather than being frustrated by this, I allowed my experience at my previous site in Julcán help me decide exactly what I wanted and needed for my living arrangement, as well as work. Lindsey, who lives 5K away from me in the town of Chipillico, helped me look for a place to live. Lindsey has been very helpful and supportive through my transition process and adjusting to my new life in the valley of Chipillico. We essentially went around door to door asking people if they knew of a family that had a room available where I could live for the next year and a half. Even though I visited a half a dozen homes, the first home we visited ended up being my new home. Gloria García, a 29 year old store owner and mother offered me her house. She lives in her store with her family and had her old empty house to offer me. If any of you living in the States saw this house, you probably would have been surprised that I decided to live there. By any average developed world standards, this house would be considered uninhabitable. No running water, no bathroom, no lights, dirt floor, limited windows. But I saw potential. And with a few investments, I made this house my own. With the help of Lindsey, Gloria, and one of the local construction workers, I put in cement, a window, painted the walls, installed lights. I still lack a real bathroom and water, but so do all of the other families around. I figured if they survive without it, so can I. I wish I had some before and after shots, but here are some pictures of the “after.” It was quite a long week of fixing up the house. But I’m quite pleased with it, and am looking forward to calling it home for the next year and a half.

No comments: