Friday, June 19, 2009

nueva cultura

For those of you who are devout readers of my blog, you might remember the video of my host grandmother in Julcán dancing. (if you want to see it again, you can look under the December archive of the blog). My grandmother dancing huayno in her poncho was a pretty accurate representation of the culture of the highland life in the Andes. Now I’m living in the tropical lowlands. And the culture is quite different. I almost feel like I am in a different country. The dance and music here, just like in Julcán, represent part of this new culture of tropical Northern Perú. I am posting this video of some of the little girls in my host family dancing in my room as a comparison to abuelita dancing Huanyo. They are dancing cumbia, which is kind of like Salsa, but with less technique. It’s the dance and the music of coastal Perú. I’ll let Mayra, Gloria, and Patricia show you all for themselves:

No comments: