Sunday, July 11, 2010

ancash

Huaraz is definitely on of the most beautiful places in Peru. In the middle of the snow-capped Andes mountains, the town and surrounding areas is an interesting combination of pre-Spanish conquest and western culture. There are a lot of tourists there for the treking and outdoor activies in the Cordillera Blanca and Huascaran National Park. The indigenous people there walk around in their traditional garb and speak Quechua, the pre-Spanish indigenous language.
Mollie and I had a great time touring around the city and going on hikes in the National Park. The area is covered in amazing glacial lakes and snow capped mountains. We hiked to altitudes above 15,000 feet (and definitely felt the effects!) and were astonished by the spectacular views.
I’m so happy that Mollie had the opportunity to come down and see me down here. It is always so nice to have someone from home see my life in my new (temporary) home. We had a great time together and I’m glad I’ll get to see her again in Charlottesville in a little over 4 months!

No comments: