Sunday, July 11, 2010

paseo en piura con mayra y gloria

Once or twice a month, I travel 4 hours to Piura, my capital city, to take a break from my site, take a shower, use the internet, grocery shop, and eat at my favorite vegetarian restaurant. Few people from my town have been to the city. It is relatively expensive to get there ($5) and city life does not seem to appeal to most of the older people. They say that there are too many cars, crime, and people in the city. They prefer the “tranquilo” lifestyle of the campo. I agree with them for the most part, I prefer being in my beautiful site where I know everyone. But, for me, it is nice to have running water and other amenities that I’m accustomed to every once in a while. Also, coming to the city means communicate with and accessing the outside world via internet. Not to mention, how would I update you all on la vida peruana blog if it weren’t for my visits to the city?

The two little seven year old girls in my host family, Mayra Tatiana and Gloria Marina always seem very curious when I leave home for the city. For months, I have been promising that we’ll take a trip together to the city. So, right now, as I type, little Mayra and Gloria are here amazed by the internet. We are staying at the hostal where I always stay, and I’m sure if any of you saw this place you would be less than amazed. But, Gloria and Mayra feel like they are in a luxurious palace. They are calling it “el castillo” (the castle). In the first place, this is literally the first time that they have ever walked up a flight of stairs. I had to hold their hands as we walked up to the fourth floor of the hostal. Taking a shower (and seeing running water!) was quite an experience as well. When we brushed our teeth the first night they asked me where to spit their toothpaste because they are used to spitting on the ground. They were surprised that they were allowed to spit in the sink! I took them to a pool, the movie theater, the mall, and different parks. We all have had a great time together and I am hoping that this will remind them that there is a world outside of our little village and maybe one day they will want to come here to study.


No comments: